2019年2月22日金曜日

2月22日 Earthquake Memorial Service

8 years ago was the second of two earthquakes that changed the face of Christchurch forever. I was never able to see the pre-earthquake city, but I have been able to see the reconstruction and rebirth of this beautiful city. The SCC Seminar students have been honored twice now to be invited to the Avonhead Ceremony and to join the memorial there as representatives of the international studnets who passed away in the earthquake.
2010年9月の地震の方が2011年のそれよりは、マグニチュードでは大きかったという記憶はありますが、翌年2月22日(丁度お昼時でしたね)の方が大きな被害がありました。大地震が発生して大勢の人が犠牲になっただけでなく、中心街から郊外まで沢山の建物が崩壊し、道路も寸断されました。あれから8年が経過。徐々に復興しています。今日は当時犠牲になられた方々の慰霊祭に行きました。この墓地には日本人のお墓もあります。

In a semi-circle surrounding the memorial monument are spaces for each of the people who passed away in the earthquake. Not every family has used their space, but many have.
何か感じるものがあったでしょ!

The Japanese Consulate placed flowers this morning at each of the Japanese who have personal memorials here.
日本領事館の献花です。

This might not be the most fun experience, but it is an important one. A big thanks to the studnets for coming.
皆さん有難う。よくお参りしてくれました。
Waiting for the ceremony to begin I got to play with Nicola-sensei's youngest boy for a while.
現地職員である二コラ先生の一番下の男の子です。
I gave a few words of remembrance and a call to use the earthquake and rebuilding as way to build stronger communities that can overcome disaster by working together.
慰霊祭で引率者(上の写真)と留学生代表(下の写真)がそれぞれ慰霊の言葉を述べました。
Chihiro proudly volunteered to speak on behalf of the students. It was quite hard as there were strong wind gusts blowing Chihiro's hair into her face. We wrote her speech just this morning, but she did wonderfully. I got many, many complements on how well she spoke afterwards! 
Chihiroさん自主的に代表者になってくれてんね。有難う。話をしている時にかなりの風が吹いたとありますが、きっと犠牲者が「聞いている」という返事だったのでしょうか?まさに「千の風」が吹いたのかな?すてきなスピーチだったようですね。
The center of the memorial.
この場所が墓地の中心。

Tomorrow, we have a gyoza party and a trip to see a (rainy) rugby match!
明日の予定は餃子パーティとラグビー観戦に行きます。天気予報は生憎の雨。
今日はエエことしてんから、晴れることを祈っています。